Friday, February 09, 2007

Bloggedness

I have quite a number of Blogs bookmarked. All of them are by people whom I have never met and, although I don't read them all everyday, I try to catch up a few times a week. Some Blogs I do try to read every day and comment if my addled brain can think of a suitable response. But most of these Blogs, like mine, receive perhaps a handful of comments, sometimes none at all.

Some of the Blogs I read are hugely popular and seem to receive anywhere between 50 and 100 comments to every entry. They are written by people who, by virtue of their Blog, are offered book deals and can give up their 9 to 5 (or in some cases be pushed from their job) to concentrate on writing the book of their Blog. One or two are quite notorious and I imagine the subsequent books make for some good reading but the rest are just detailing the general day to day humdrumness (is that a word!?) of the writer's life.

What is it that makes these Blogs so interesting to read? If I wrote a blog about the comings and goings of my day it would read something like:

Got up and showered. Walked the Lurchers. Went to work. Worked. Went home for lunch. Went back to work again. Went home for tea. Surfed a bit. REad for a bit. Went to bed. Went to sleep.

There's obviously an art to making a Blog scintillating reading. And I don't have it.

6 comments:

joker the lurcher said...

yes you do.because i read it!

Anonymous said...

The skill lies in picking out the gems from the dross of the day then looking at them from another angle. I live in hope of learning the art! :D

Anonymous said...

I took SimonG's advice when I started blogging.

1) Pick something funny which happened to you recently.
2) Failing that, write something funny about something humdrum which happened to you recently.
3) Failing that, dig up something funny from your past.
4) Failing that, make something up.

:)

I'm always very conscious of "would anyone _really_ be interested in this?" When I'm writing.

That said... I enjoy reading your blog, and seeing your pics, so you're doing it right :)

Andre Veloux said...

I think to get lots of comments I think you need to have some kind of vulnerability in yourself or your life. Maybe our lives are just too comfortable for the most part.

At least with our blogs we can safely manage to reply to all who bother to comment.

BTW. I was going to post a recipe on Eat this! but I don't have a password. Did you send one, did I lose it? Can you send another.

It's not a great recipe though.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Andre, I did send you one but have tried to send you another. Let me know if it doesn't arrive.

Anonymous said...

Well, I like reading your blog and I certainly don't think I've got 'IT' either!
I just try and take pictures of anything vaguely interesting and then write about it entertainingly as possible... Even if it's really small thing, blow it up out of proportion, not as to lie, just to make it fun and readable.
That's the beauty of a blog, you can do anything you like with it.
Also, don't post too often, twice a week tops. It gives you time to think and things to happen.
Rants always work well on blogs too, use it to vent :[]